How To Make A Gentle Spring Detox Tea
Are you ready to embark on a spring detox? Looking for an alternative to the ubiquitous juice cleanse? The Vernal Equinox has taken place, reassuring us that the time of renewal, reawakening and vitality is here – even if it doesn't feel like Spring just yet in some areas. To help welcome the season associated with fresh beginnings, I wanted to share one of my go-to detoxifying teas rooted in the tradition of Ayurveda.
Ordinarily I would do a homemade juice cleanse regimen to reset, however I decided to share a different detox for three reasons:
- I already juice daily in order to pack in my daily dose of nutrients and vitamins.
- There are hundreds (if not thousands) of Spring Juice Cleanse recipes, blogs and articles out there given the popularity of juicing.
- I'm still craving warm beverages in the morning since it's still a bit chilly out. A detox tea is a comforting and effective compromise.
It's a simple tea and you might already have the coriander, cumin and fennel (CCF) lying around in your cupboard. This powerful trio of seeds helps improve digestion and cleanse channels in our body, which helps the body filter out toxins and more easily absorb nutrients in the future. Here's what each ingredient can do for you:
- Cumin helps flush out the system, in addition to detoxifying both the liver and pancreas.
- Coriander specifically aids with digestion and absorption of nutrients and has a relaxing anti-inflammatory effect on the stomach. Additionally, it helps relieve menstrual issues and pain.
- Rich in Vitamin C, fennel has anti-microbial, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It is mildly diuretic, making it a gentle and safe addition to your detox regimen. Take note, fresh fennel is a wonderful addition to your homemade juice, but it has a strong licorice flavor so use it with moderation.
I've added turmeric to this CCF traditional recipe because it helps the body filter and expel toxins, amongst a host of other medicinal and longevity boosting properties. I also included it because I generally add turmeric to everything – it is, without a doubt, my go-to root.
CCF+T Ayurvedic Detox Tea
5 cups water
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2-inch piece of turmeric
Add the seeds and turmeric to the water and boil for approximately 5 minutes over high heat. Strain out the seeds and turmeric and drink while still warm or hot. I recommend drinking this in the morning daily for at least 7 days. Note: I like to grind the seeds first to release the oils.
Always consult your doctor first before embarking on a detox or cleansing program, and if you do end up trying it, let me know how it goes!