Silky, Aromatic Coconut Milk For Body & Hair
Today is a well-deserved at-home spa day. I've been traveling a little more than usual lately, and now my body is feeling the general effects of lugging my bags, walking through terminals and traversing through wonderful cities. Simply put – I'm tired and in need of an invigorating, silky and aromatic treatment, the main ingredient of which is... pure coconut milk.
Coconut milk contains
electrolytes, antimicrobial lipids, lauric acid and capric acid, which
contain antibacterial and antifungal properties and when ingested its
nutrients may help nourish skin and hair. Furthermore, the high fatty
acid content in coconut milk serves as a natural moisturizer that may
help repair wrinkles and sagging in aging skin (source).
When applied topically, coconut milk can:
- cleanse pores by removing dirt and excess sebum
- give skin a soft, supple and glowing complexion
- remove dead skin cells by acting as a gentle exfoliator
- keep skin well moisturized and hydrated
- support the chemical balance of skin
- help provide protection from damaging effects of ultraviolet rays
Before I make my coconut bath, I wash my hair as usual, apply a generous amount of coconut milk to it as a conditioning treatment, and cover my hair with a shower cap for a minimum of 30 minutes before rinsing and styling to reveal enviably silky, hydrated tresses. Coconut milk contains vitamin E and fats, which can help moisturize and nourish follicles and promote hair growth, as well as improve the overall health of your hair and scalp.
Now for the main event – my Aromatic Coconut Milk & Chamomile Bath.
- 2 cups pure, full fat coconut milk (BPA free)
- 3 tbs pure honey
- 3 drops ylang ylang essential oil
- 3 drops tangerine essential oil
- 3 drops sweet orange essential oil
- 1 cup chamomile flowers (dried whole or ground)
- Optional: hibiscus flowers, orange zest and/or dried orange
Combine the first five ingredients and half of the chamomile flowers and run under the water as the bath fills. Sprinkle in the remaining flowers once bath is at the desired level, and enjoy the tropical essence. It's like the best cocktail, creamsicle, smoothie, candle, perfume, and dessert all rolled into one.